Outdoor Adventure Trips, Clinics, & Events
Join Ole Miss Outdoors (OMOD) for one of our exciting adventure trips, educational clinics, skill-based certifications, or campus & community events. Our trips are designed for all people and all skill levels. Participants must be enrolled as a student at the University of Mississippi, OR be 18 years of age or older to participate in the trip program. Trip prices are all-inclusive, unless otherwise noted. Clinics and events are geared toward student and community members, and offer a wide variety of activities for everyone. Scroll to the bottom of the page for more information about registration, trip format, and safety procedures. If you have questions, visit the Ole Miss Outdoors office in Turner Center 110, or call 662-915-6735.
Summer 2017 Adventure Trips & Clinics
Indoor Rock Climbing
July 8th – Day Trip to High Point Climbing Gym (AL)
$50 Students | $60 Other Learn more
Mnt Biking & Stand-Up Paddleboarding
July 8th-9th – Weekend Trip to Oak Mnt State Park (AL)
$80 Students | $100 Other Learn more
Rock Climbing in Sand Rock
July 22nd-23rd – Weekend Trip to Sand Rock (AL)
$100 Students | $120 Other Learn more
White Water Rafting
July 28th-30th – Weekend Trip to the Ocoee River (TN)
$150 Students | $175 Other Learn more
Adventure Trip FAQs:
What is included in the trip cost? The trip cost is all-inclusive*. We will provide you with round-trip ground transportation, meals, all gear rentals, camping fees, and guiding fees. The only things you need are clothes and snacks! *unless otherwise noted in the trip description.
Do I have to provide my own transportation? No, all trips include round-trip ground transportation*. Campus Recreation owns departmental vehicles that we drive to and from the location. *unless otherwise noted in the trip description.
What time do we depart Oxford and when do we return to Oxford? The weekend trips will leave Friday afternoon once everyone is done with class, preferably before 4 pm. Since we drive to our locations, we want to make sure we are not getting there too late, but we are willing to work with everyone! Weekend trips arrive back in Oxford on Sunday around 7 pm generally, but again, we can work with you if you have to be back for a reason. Sunday trips leave around 8 am and arrive back around 7pm. The trips leaders will discuss departure/arrival times at the pre-trip meeting.
What happens after I register? All trips will have a pre-trip meeting the Tuesday before it goes out. The trip leaders (whose names are on the trip info sheet) will contact you beforehand to remind you of the time and date. At that meeting, they will go over the itinerary, departure/arrival times, and other crucial info. Also, you are encouraged to contact them at any time with questions about the trip.
Do I need to have my own gear to come on trips? No! OMOD provides all technical gear for our trips; if specialty gear is needed, we will rent from an outfitter and that will be included in the trip cost.
REGISTRATION: To register for a trip, please click the online registration link or visit the Ole Miss Outdoors office, located in Turner Center 110 (on the first floor, under the stairs). Most of our trips require the full payment for the trip at registration, with the exception of our longer (and more expensive) trips. We accept Visa and Mastercard online, and Visa, Mastercard, Cash, Check, and Ole Miss Express in the office.
PRE-TRIP MEETINGS AND SKILL WORKSHOPS: All trip participants are required to attend a pre-trip meeting the Tuesday before the trip. At this time, the Trip Leaders will go over all necessary information, assign gear, and answer any questions. If the outdoor activity requires specific knowledge or skill, Trip Leaders will plan a mandatory skill workshop to teach participants (i.e. how to wet exit or roll in a white water kayak) before the dates of the trip.
ADVENTURE TRIP OVERVIEW: OMOD offers three formats for adventure trips – day trips, weekend trips, and week-long trips.
- Day Trips
- Distance: Trips are generally within an hour drive of campus.
- Type of Trips: Local outdoor recreation is generally focused on paddling sports (canoeing, kayaking, fishing, etc) or hiking and camping. Most of our day trips are in these categories.
- Timeline: Participants meet behind the Turner Center the morning of the adventure to load up in our two Ford Expeditions. Day trips usually last between 6-8 hours all together (including driving time).
- Necessary Items: Participants are encouraged to pack a lunch, personal snacks, and water and dress appropriately for the activity.
- Weekend Trips
- Distance: Weekend trips allow participants to go further into the Southeast for a variety of outdoor recreation activities. Our trip destinations are generally 3-6 hours from campus.
- Type of Trips: The Southeast offers a wide variety of outdoor disciplines, such as a white water rafting, rock climbing, hang gliding, etc. Most of our Spring trips are in this category.
- Timeline: Participants meet in the OMOD office (Turner 110) on Friday afternoon and load our two Ford Expeditions. We generally camp in tents both Friday and Saturday nights at a local campground, focusing on our activity all day Saturday. Sunday usually consists of packing up camp and continuing the activity if possible. We arrive back in Oxford around 5PM on Sunday.
- Necessary Items: OMOD provides all necessary gear and most food. Participants are encouraged to bring appropriate clothing (as specified by the activity), personal snacks, and water.
- Week-Long Trips
- Distance: Anywhere. If we can drive there, we can do it.
- Types of Trips: Anything. In the past, we’ve driven to Canada for dog-sledding, the Grand Canyon for backpacking, the Colorado Rockies for skiing & snowboarding, the Florida Keys for kayaking and snorkeling, and many other places around the US. In the Fall, we always do a ski & snowboard trip and our Spring Break trip varies. Occasionally, we plan a week-long summer trip.
- Timeline: The timeline greatly varies based on the type of trip offered. Generally, trips last the full week, including the weekends.
- Necessary Items: OMOD provides all necessary gear and most food, unless otherwise specified. Participants are encouraged to bring appropriate clothing (as specified by the activity), personal snacks, and water.
LIABILITY: All OMOD trip participants are required to fill out a waiver and health form. To save time, you may print the waiver and health forms ahead of time or you may choose to receive a copy upon registration. Click here for the waiver/health form.
NON-OUTFITTER TRIP REFUND POLICY: If you cancel prior to the pre-trip meeting date (the Tuesday before the trip), you may receive 70% of the total payment, if the trip is not booked with an outfitter or travel agency. Refunds will not be available after the pre-trip meeting unless you find substitute to take your place for the trip. If you find a substitute, that person must register in the Ole Miss Outdoors office and pay in full. Once they have paid in full, you will receive a full (100%) refund. Should you find a substitute and he/she pays in full before the pre-trip meeting, you may also receive a full refund.
OUTFITTER TRIP REFUND POLICY: If the trip is booked through an outfitter or travel agency (or any 3rd party service provider), you must find a substitute for your spot to receive a refund. If you find a substitute, that person must register in the Ole Miss Outdoors office and pay in full. Once he/she pays in full, you will receive a full (100%) refund. Ole Miss Outdoors books trips with outfitters far in advance and must fill spots to avoid losing money, and outfitters do not generally offer refunds to the University. Therefore you are responsible for filling your spot if you register and can no longer go on one of these trips.