Adventure Trips, Clinics, & Events
Join Ole Miss Outdoors (OMOD) for one of our exciting adventures, educational clinics, skill-based certifications, or campus & community events. Our trips are designed for all people and all skill levels. Prices are all-inclusive, unless otherwise noted. Clinics and events are geared toward student and community members, and offer a wide variety of activities for everyone.
Spring 2016 Adventure Trips & Events are listed below – Click on the link under each trip for more detailed information about what is included in the price and what to expect.
REGISTRATION: To register for a trip, please click the link beside the trip or visit the Ole Miss Outdoors office, located in Turner Center 110 (on the first floor, under the stairs). Most of our trips require the full payment for the trip at registration, with the exception of our longer (and more expensive) trips. We accept Visa, Mastercard, Cash, Check, and Ole Miss Express (Visa and Mastercard are the only online forms of payment).
PRE-TRIP MEETINGS AND SKILL WORKSHOPS: All trip participants are required to attend a pre-trip meeting the Tuesday before the trip. At this time, the Trip Leaders will go over all necessary information, assign gear, and answer any questions. If the outdoor activity requires specific knowledge or skill, Trip Leaders will plan a mandatory skill workshop to teach participants (i.e. how to wet exit or roll in a white water kayak) before the dates of the trip.
ADVENTURE TRIP OVERVIEW: OMOD offers three formats for adventure trips – day trips, weekend trips, and week-long trips.
- Day Trips
- Distance: Trips are generally within an hour drive of campus.
- Type of Trips: Local outdoor recreation is generally focused on paddling sports (canoeing, kayaking, fishing, etc) or hiking. Most of our Fall trips are in this category.
- Timeline: Participants meet behind the Turner Center the morning of the adventure to load up in our two Ford Expeditions. Day trips usually last between 6-8 hours all together (including driving time).
- Necessary Items: Participants are encouraged to pack a lunch, personal snacks, and water and dress appropriately for the activity.
- Weekend Trips
- Distance: Weekend trips allow participants to go further into the Southeast for a variety of outdoor recreation activities. Our trip destinations are generally 3-6 hours from campus.
- Type of Trips: The Southeast offers a wide variety of outdoor disciplines, such as a white water rafting, rock climbing, hang gliding, etc. Most of our Spring trips are in this category.
- Timeline: Participants meet in the OMOD office (Turner 110) on Friday afternoon and load our two Ford Expeditions. We generally camp in tents both Friday and Saturday nights at a local campground, focusing on our activity all day Saturday. Sunday usually consists of packing up camp and continuing the activity if possible. We arrive back in Oxford around 5PM on Sunday.
- Necessary Items: OMOD provides all necessary gear and most food. Participants are encouraged to bring appropriate clothing (as specified by the activity), personal snacks, and water.
- Week-Long Trips
- Distance: Anywhere. If we can drive there, we can do it.
- Types of Trips: Anything. In the past, we’ve driven to Canada for dog-sledding, the Grand Canyon for backpacking, the Colorado Rockies for skiing & snowboarding, the Florida Keys for kayaking and snorkeling, and many other places around the US. In the Fall, we always do a ski & snowboard trip and our Spring Break trip varies. Occasionally, we plan a week-long summer trip.
- Timeline: The timeline greatly varies based on the type of trip offered. Generally, trips last the full week, including the weekends.
- Necessary Items: OMOD provides all necessary gear and most food, unless otherwise specified. Participants are encouraged to bring appropriate clothing (as specified by the activity), personal snacks, and water.
LIABILITY: All OMOD trip participants are required to fill out a waiver and health form. To save time, you may print the waiver and health forms ahead of time or you may choose to receive a copy upon registration. Click here for the waiver/health form.
Upcoming Trips, Clinics, & Events:
Level 1 Challenge Course Certification
Facilitated by Adventure Experiences, Inc.
Rebel Challenge Course, Oxford MS
$275 Hired Challenge Course Facilitators/$550 Community
Experience Level: Intermediate
Click here to register online!