Adventure Coaching-Returning Fall 2023
Welcome to Ole Miss Outdoors’ newest program: Adventure Coaching!
This program is designed to help you get into the great outdoors, whether you’re new to adventuring or a seasoned outdoorsperson. When you make an appointment, you can speak with a trip leader from Ole Miss Outdoors to plan your next adventure, or to simply learn new tips, tricks and recipes to increase your knowledge and enjoyment of the outdoors.
- Want to learn the basics of camping? We can go through topics such as choosing a campground, pitching a tent, campsite cooking, and general gear use.
- Already have camping experience but want to get into longer-term trips such as backpacking or bike-packing? You can schedule a meeting to talk about packing a bag, cutting gear weight down, and planning food and water for long-term scenarios.
- Interested in taking a water-based trip soon? Come on in and discuss how to select a boat, load a boat onto your vehicle, keep your gear dry, and stay safe on the water.
- Looking to try a new type of outdoor experience, but don’t have to gear for it? Feel free to make an appointment to just sit in the office and talk to our staff about cost-effective ways to buy or make new gear. We are all gear-junkies and are happy to talk about gear any time!
- Interested in getting outside, but unsure where to go? We can suggest excellent day, weekend, or long-term trips for anyone who is looking for the best places to adventure nearby!
After any adventure coaching session, you will get a discount on renting all items in our gear rental shop, such as tents, bikes, boats, and sleeping bags. So feel free to come in, learn about our gear, and then rent some out for your own adventure!
Cost: Open and free to everyone
Time: One-hour appointment
Experience Required: None
Rental Shop Discount for Students: 10% off your next rental
To request an adventure coaching appointment, please click here to complete the form.
Local Recreation Areas
John Kyle State Park
Just across Sardis Lake from Clear Creek Recreation Area, this state park rests on the lower portion of the lake. It has a boat launch, a swimming area, a beach, several pavilions, a golf course, and many campsites. It is a nice alternative to Clear Creek if you want calmer water and to spend time on the beach. The day-use fee is $4 per vehicle and it is $15 to reserve a primitive campsite.
Website: MDWFP – John W. Kyle
Phone: (662) 487-1345
Directions: 19 miles from Oxford (26 minutes)
Clear Creek Recreation Area
Clear Creek is a small campground on the coast of the upper portion of Sardis Lake. It is home to many campsites, a few mountain bike trails, a boat launch area, and a beautiful picnic area. It is across the lake from John Kyle State Park, but gives you access to the upper portion of Sardis. This larger part of Sardis is much more open and gives you more of a feeling of being on the ocean than the lower portion. It is a better choice if your goal is to boat longer distances. This park is also in close proximity to some of the top rated mountain bike trails in the state. Campsites can be reserved for $20 – $24 per night (online or over the phone only).
Phone: (662) 563-4531
Description of bike trails: Clear Creek Mountain Bike Trail in Oxford, Mississippi – (singletracks.com)
Directions: 14 miles from Oxford (25 minutes)
Wall Doxey State Park
Located just outside of Holly Springs, MS, this park has two disc golf courses, a lake for fishing and canoeing, a 2.5 mile hiking trail around the lake, and many camping areas. Primitive camping is $15 nightly and the entrance fee is $4 per vehicle, but this park will only take cash.
Website: MDWFP – Wall Doxey
Phone: (662) 252-4231
Directions: 28 miles from Oxford (32 minutes)
Tishomingo State Park
Located in Tishomingo County (45 miles northeast of Tupelo), this park is home to Bear Creek Canyon. There are many activities available in this park, including hiking, camping, canoeing, disc golf, and climbing. Primitive campsites range from $15 – $22 per night and cabins range from $50 – $85.
Phone: (662) 438-6914
Directions: 93 miles from Oxford (1 hour, 33 minutes)
Clear Springs Recreation Area (Homochitto National Forest)
Located in Meadville, MS, this park has primitive camping, RV parking, a twelve-mile hiking/biking trail, and a lake for swimming. The nightly cost for primitive camping is $7 per site and the day-use fee is $5 per vehicle.
Phone: (601) 965-1600
Directions: 253 miles from Oxford (4 hours)