Student Employment with Campus Recreation
The Department of Campus Recreation depends on Ole Miss students to assist with many of the programs and services we offer. The opportunity to meet not only other Ole Miss students but also faculty, staff, their families and campus visitors participating in various programs or facility use is very rewarding.
At various times throughout the year, typically at the beginning and end of the fall semester as well as just before the summer terms, the Department of Campus Recreation will host job fairs for students interested in employment. The department will also offer a workshop in conjunction with the job fairs to aid students in drafting their cover letters and résumés. Once applications have been submitted, student employee candidates may be selected to participate in group interviews and then specific area interviews. After application and interviewing, students who are hired go through an in-service training and orientation program. Schedules are established based on availability. Student wages are based on the position and experience.
Please contact CampusRecJobs@olemiss.edu with any questions pertaining to student employment.
Campus Recreation Student Hiring Timeline Spring 2022:
Click here to review the job descriptions for Campus Recreation student employment.
Job Fair and Application Session (Mandatory) – required to attend one
- The job fair and application sessions will be held via Zoom, beginning promptly at the advertised start time and will last approximately one hour. Register for the Zoom session with the link below:
- Tuesday, January 18th, 5 pm – 6 pm CST (Zoom): registration has closed
- Wednesday, January 19th, 5 pm to 6 pm CST (Zoom): registration has closed
- Thursday, January 20th, 4 to 5 pm CST: (Zoom) : registration has closed
- Zoom option – After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting and the option to add to your personal calendar. It is highly suggested to add the Zoom meeting you select to your calendar to ensure you do not miss the meeting.
- Learn more about working for Campus Recreation, our hiring process and timeline, along with application material requirements, helpful interview techniques, and how to prepare for applying with TEAMCR.
- Attendance at one of the job fairs and application sessions is required to gain access to receive the application.
- The link for the online application will be emailed to the @go.olemiss.edu student email account of all those who attend the job fair and application session.
- Students must be logged in to their @go.olemiss.edu account to submit an application.
Friday, January 21st:
All Applications are Due Online at 12 noon
- Cover letter and résumé (in pdf format) must be uploaded to the online application in order for the application to be considered complete (Must use your @go.olemiss.edu to submit).
- Late applications will NOT be accepted.
Wednesday & Thursday, January 26th & 27th:
First Round Interviews (In-person)
- Selected candidates will be invited for first round individual interviews (time determined by availability indicated on application).
- You will be emailed all the interview information, including date and location, prior to your interview.
- Conducted in-person, each first round interview will consist of one applicant and two current TeamCR employees, and last 15 to 20 minutes.
Thursday & Friday, January 27th & 28th:
Second Round Interviews
- Selected candidates will be invited for second round individual or group interviews (time determined by availability indicated on application).
- Some areas may require a practical component during second round interviews as well.
- Conducted in-person, second round interviews may last from 30 to 45 minutes.
- If needed, Monday, January 31st may also be used for second round interviews.
Tuesday, February 1st:
- Hiring for spring 2022 semester completed.
- Must complete online onboarding and in person Human Resources requirements by February 9, 2022. Failure to do so may result in loss of employment opportunity.
Campus Recreation Graduate Assistantships Now Open for the 2022-2023 Academic Year!
The Department of Campus Recreation at the University of Mississippi is seeking dynamic and talented individuals to help us achieve our vision of being a flagship collegiate recreation program. We will be hiring six (6) Graduate Assistant positions for the 2022-2023 academic year in the following program areas:
- Facility Operations (1)
- Fitness (1)
Acceptance into the University of Mississippi Graduate School in pursuit of a Master’s Degree in a related field. Note: Students pursuing online graduate degree programs or an MBA will not be eligible for a graduate assistantship. For a complete list of programs offered and application deadlines visit: https://gradschool.olemiss.edu/apply-now/graduate-programs-and-deadlines/
All qualified applicants should visit the Bluefish site to view job descriptions and supervisor information. Then applicants should submit their cover letter, resume, list of three professional references, GPA, and GRE (verbal, quantitative, & writing) scores to the contact indicated for the respective positions listed below. Positions will remain open until filled.
Graduate Assistant – Facility Operations (1):
The Graduate Assistant will assist the Facility Operations team with the management, administration and supervision of the South Campus Recreation Center, the Thomas N. Turner Center and the Blackburn-McMurray Outdoor Sports Complex. The Graduate Assistant will work within a structured program designed to provide quality experiences centered on academic performance, professional development, and social/personal achievement. Responsibilities include indoor and outdoor facility management; membership services and locker management; policy development; recruitment, training, scheduling, supervision and evaluation of student staff; risk management; facility scheduling; special event programming; assisting with the coordination of RV parking services for home football games; departmental committee contribution. Evening and weekend work will be required. Other duties may be assigned that assist the overall mission of the department.
Demonstrated experience in campus recreation programming, scheduling, facility operations & management, membership services, leadership and working on a team.
Jason Shirkey, Associate Director of Campus Recreation
Graduate Assistant – Fitness (1):
The Graduate Assistant will assist the Assistant Director of Fitness with the management, administration and supervision of a comprehensive fitness program within the Department of Campus Recreation. The Graduate Assistant will work within a structured program designed to provide quality experiences centering on academic performance, professional development, and achievement. Specific duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to: providing leadership, guidance, and supervision to approximately 75 fitness student employees; supervision of one aspect of the fitness program (group fitness, personal training, fitness center) and assistance in supervision of other aspects; recruit, interview, hire, train and evaluate student employees; create, plan and implement fitness special event and incentive programming; assist in marketing and promotion of all fitness programs; equipment maintenance and repair; on-site event coverage; maintain certifications as an instructor and/or trainer while serving in those capacities and also leading certification prep courses for group fitness and/or personal training; departmental committee contribution. Evening and weekend work will be required. Other duties may be assigned that assist the overall mission of the department.
One (1) nationally accredited fitness certification: Group Fitness, Personal Training, Strength and Conditioning, or Health Coach (ACSM, NSCA, ACE, AFAA, NASM, etc) is required prior to the start date of the appointment. Experience in Group Fitness and/or Small Group Training and certification prep course instruction experience is also preferred.
Amanda Alpert, Associate Director of Campus Recreation – Programs